Questions from a (reasearched) newbie...

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Headstrng
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Questions from a (reasearched) newbie...

Post by Headstrng »

Hey all, new to the forum here. I'm having a bit of trouble finding contradictory info in my research, and was curious if I could ask some questions to the forum of puffer lovers.

I'm interested in getting a freshwater, or possibly a brackish puffer...looking at the SAP, F8, and the GSP as options because I want somewhere between a 2"-6" grown fish. In fact, in an ideal world, I'd like 2 to fit inside of a 25-38 gallon cube tank (wifey likes the look of the cubes)....but keep going back and forth on wanting 1 or 2. I've read where 2 get along really well and almost need each other...that would be ideal to watch 2 interact. The problems I see (from what I've read...so please correct me if I'm wrong...I want the most humane options) are:

The GSP is likely too big and aggressive to have a tank mate of any kind - so if I go this route, I'd just get 1 puffer in a 25-30 gallon tank. Of my choices, I think it's the one that requires the highest level of salinity in brackish water. So, that means the tank will have less plant-life that can live in there, correct? I was under the impression that brackish water can be pretty limiting in this respect. The personalities seem great on these.

The G8 seems to get mixed reviews on it's ability to have a tank mate and needs to be moved to slight brackish tank as it ages, correct? This was the puffer that I liked the best, and I'd go with a 30-38 gallon tank with a lot of stuff in it to break up line of sight if I got 2...but I'm still worried about the temperament of these. I like the personalities on these as well. Does it matter at all if the 2 grow up together, vs introducing it as an adult? And does the cube tank design limit the amount of space they have to call home? It's 20x20x20.

The SAP seems to be the most "friendly" puffer (along w/ dwarfs)...I read it had something to do with them not having to guard their eggs like others do. But I've also read they tend to have less personality and are more fearful. The personality is what makes the puffer great IMO, so I don't want to lose that if possible. It's the only one I cant find in person in my city, so I cant see for myself. It's my least favorite, aesthetically, of the 3...but best temperament to have a tank mate. It also *appears* to be freshwater w/o need for brackish setup...but I'm not 100% sure of that because the internet claims both. Regardless, freshwater tanks have less cost and seem to have more plant and tank mate choices than the brackish.

I'm not really aware of any other options of species - so if you want to throw some out, I'm willing to listen. But what is the general thought around these 3 species and the questions I have? And with any of the 3, is there ANY acceptable bottom feeder or cleaning fish that could work? I'm willing to get all at the same time as young tikes (if that matters).

I'm months away from all this, still need to buy and cycle the tank to get it perfect, so I greatly appreciate any help you all have for me on this. I'll contribute when I get some more experience and know what I'm talking about - promise. :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Questions from a (reasearched) newbie...

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
With you being in the US, I'm not sure where you're getting 25 or 38 gal tanks? Never heard of those offered here. I think you'd be most pleased with F8s. You could actually keep 3 in there, if you went for a 40g. There's always a pecking order, so with 2 there's going to be one chasing the other all the time. Better balance with 3. Might even be able to keep a couple of knight gobies with them.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Headstrng
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Headstrng »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had my numbers messed up on one of those, it's 34 gallon, not 38. Been looking at too many! :) The Solana Superbrite Frameless Aquarium is the one I was looking at for the larger size. The 25 gallon is at a local store (Living Art Aquarium) and online there is the Mr. Aqua Brilliant 25 Gallon Frameless. These framless cube ones are hard to find...

But I'd bet now with that clarification that 34 is too tight for 3? Seems a bit tight. Interesting thought...I figured 3 would cause 2 ganging up on 1, but see your point there. I too think the G8 would be my fav, but want to make sure.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Welcome :) thanks for doing research before buying! Most puffs are bought on impulse with wrong info... And I think most people here could tell you what I'd vote for! ;) a swarm of dps! :D
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
With you being in the US, I'm not sure where you're getting 25 or 38 gal tanks? Never heard of those offered here.
Fluval make a 25g called the Accent.

Petco carries a 38 gallon. It basically has a 36" x 12" footprint
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Do the frameless tanks have a cover where the puffer can't jump out?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Headstrng
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Headstrng »

Yep. The Solana 34 gallon has one. The cube request is limiting...the next largest are about 60. That's biting off a bit more than I'd like to. 40 would be best but they don't exist.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Do the frameless tanks have a cover where the puffer can't jump out?
+ 1 thats a nightmare i hope i will never have to experience again luckily my guy was still alive.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

HUH? 40g breeders is what they're called.

Alleycat
Puffer Fry
Location (country): S.W. Ohio

Post by Alleycat »

Welcome Headstrng - I was in Living Art a few years ago. Nice set up and staff who knew what they were talking about. That's something that's hard to find these days.... :)
Headstrng
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Headstrng »

Pufferpunk wrote:HUH? 40g breeders is what they're called.
It needs to be a cube shape, per my lady. The 40g breeders I see are rectangular...usually somewhere around 36x18x17, which is a no-go for our setup. She'd actually prefer one of those extra high aquariums, but those are a PIA to clean I hear. I can find 45g cubes by Perfecto that are 24x24x18. Then 34 gallon ones by Solana that are 20x20x20. Not much in between.

Now that you brought the 3 puffers up and that dynamic may be better, I'm trying to decide if the 45g is the best bet and if I want to go that route or go smaller with just 1 or 2.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

With puffers (as with most fish), longer footprint is much better than taller.

Headstrng
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Headstrng »

Ok, just an update. I decided on getting 1 GSP puffer in the Aqueon 46 gallon bow-front aquarium (I worked on wifey's requirement and got her to bend a bit)...I figured I'd give him more than the space he needs. I've gotten a QuietFlow50 for the filter, water is good on ph/nitrates, got a bunch of caves/rocks/plants for him to explore and I'm about to start cycling my tank.

Question though...on a whim, I purchased a protein skimmer to help with cleanliness of water...but I think I accidentally got the wrong one and didn't look close enough. I got the Hydor Slim Skim Nano...unfortunately, I now read that the Nano is for up to 35g tanks. Do I need to return this model and get the normal Slim Skim? Or is it dependent on the amount of fish you have? I'm not sure the normal consumer has just 1 fish in a 46 gallon tank...I know puffer lovers might. I

Looking for any insight you all have. Thanks!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You didn't buy the fish yet, right? Is it being kept in FW at the shop? I'd just fishless cycle for FW: library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/

You're mixing FW filtration with SW. A protein skimmer won't work until your SG is at least 1.018. Then, you can start adding live rock & remove the FW filter. For that sized tank, get a Backpac skimmer. You'll also need a powerhead or 2 for flow.