New Arrivals Doing Well

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

New Arrivals Doing Well

Post by pufferpuggirl »

So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple of puffers from a private seller who has a license to buy wholesale. Turns out it was a great deal. Not only were the puffers priced so much lower than any fish store or fish delivery service, but I got to go and pick up the puffers myself, so not as much trauma on the trip back home.
I got a Congo/miurus puffer, and a Emerald/cutcutia puffer. Both are doing exceedingly well. Normally I find that Congo puffers don't eat for a long time after getting them, but this one has eaten every time. I've even been feeding small crayfish and he's loving them. I do believe that it is a "he" as well. I have a theory that the longer faced Congos are males, and the shorter, rounder ones, are females. Just my theory, but there is a big difference in their look, so I believe I could be right.
The cutcutia is in a heavily planted tank and is hunting snails. Now I need to get more snails because it's eating them quicker than I can supply them! But both looking healthy, bellies full and round, no sign of sickness. I am ever so happy. And I got 2 puffers for less than what just one would cost me anywhere else.

I shall post photos soon. I have found that my mobile phone camera takes photos too big to post, so need to learn how to make them smaller. I used to do all of this before, but it's been a while and I'm rusty.

Good to be back on the forum again ..... especially as my collection is growing back up. I had to sell quite a lot of my puffers when we moved to a much smaller house, and then lost an Abei I'd had for a long time when we moved. My new Abei is quite a character though, so happy that I was able to find another.

Pufferpuggirl rises once again, wahawhawahahahaha! :)
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Re: New Arrivals Doing Well - Maybe

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I think I may have been a bit premature with my previous posting. Last night I noticed what every puffer owner dreads and that's the "string of pearls" poop. It was in my Congo puffer's tank. I also noticed more this afternoon when I went up to have a look at him. Last night his belly was "lumpy" looking but today it looks fine.
I got him (along with my Cutcutia) on the 14th of November and I did worm them both with praziquantel (spelling?). It has been such a very long time since I had any puffers with parasite issues that I've forgotten a lot about it. For instance, does the "string of pearls" mean he's getting rid of the parasites, or that he still has them? I can worm him again, but I wanted to be sure before I did anything. The Cutcutia is doing fine, no problems at all, it's just the Congo. I've also noticed that the Congo seems to breathe heavy most of the time. At first I thought he was nervous and that was what was wrong, but I'm not sure what's up with him now. He's eating good and he's active. He swims around the tank, and he's inquisitive about what's going on around him. He doesn't look sick, but I know that puffers are complex and looks can be deceiving.

So, do I just go on as I am and hope that all is well, or does anyone suggest using the praziquantel again? And if so, just once more or multiple times?
Thanks in advance.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: New Arrivals Doing Well

Post by bertie 83 »

Always worth treating again. Best to get the treatment in whilst they are eating well
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly