What Puffer to get?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Minky
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guernsey

What Puffer to get?

Post by Minky »

Hi I am stuck between 3 species and was hoping if anyone could help me decide or new of any other species that might be more suited for me. I have a 180l tank

Tetraodon biocellatus (Figure eight Puffer) - These are my favourite, I have kept them before but for only a year and had to sell them as was moving away. I understand eventually they prefer brackish water, which is fine. The only thing putting me off them at the moment is my research has told me they are better off on their own but as i have a 180l tank i would prefer a few of them. the question with these is how well are they in a group and how many would it be possible to have in a 180 l tank.

Tetraodon nigroviridis (Green Spotted Puffer) - Only thing putting me off them is the fact that they are high end brackish and I think when they are older full salt water? plus they grow larger so I can have less. also do they have the same problem being in a group of the same kind?

Colomesus asellus (South American Puffer) - these looked perfect as they school a bit in the wild but and live in freshwater so easier to look after. Further research about their teeth put me off, how difficult are they to keep teeth wise?

any input would be brilliant, thanks,

Michael
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)
Location (country): USA

Re: What Puffer to get?

Post by DMD123 »

Are these the only puffers of interest? How about something like an arrowhead, hairy or Congo?
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: What Puffer to get?

Post by Welch4 »

Saps are going to need a diet of 80-90% snails to keep their teeth in check or you will be doing dental work on them. Figure 8s and gsp are going to be similar in requirements. But you could have a pair or 3 f8's where as the gsp would be best kept as a singleton in this tank.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk