Do puffers like a strong current or still(ish) water?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Puffydave
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Do puffers like a strong current or still(ish) water?

Post by Puffydave »

Maybe a silly question but what type of water movement do figure of 8 puffers prefer?
The reason I ask is my filters are set quite high and producing quite a lot of water movement, great for circulation and producing oxygen of course but once the puffers get in the middle of the tank it looks like they are fighting the current
They can swim against it but seem to prefer to just ride it, rather like the scean from finding nimo with the turtles lol
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Do puffers like a strong current or still(ish) water?

Post by G S P Freak »

My F8 tank has quite a bit of current, as It helps keep crap (literally) from accumulating at the bottom. My puffer also likes to "surf" in the strong part of the current, it's kinda funny actually lol. I'd say as long as the fish has an area of less current and the tank doesn't have every inch of water moving at warp-speed, you should be fine.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Puffydave
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Uk

Post by Puffydave »

Yeah they seem to like it, but there is still parts that are less speed and it can't be to bad as they do swim against it
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

My powerheads are over rated for my tank. My gsp spends at least half of his day either thowing himself against the current of the strongest powerhead head on, or swims under up and around the back of it and drops down into the current to get carried by the current then uses just his caudal like a rudder to go where he wants. As long as theres low flow areas for them to relax or sleep your good.
Last edited by Welch4 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

They'll get puffermuscles!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Welch4 wrote:My powerheads are over rated for my tank. My gsp spends at least half of his day either thowing himself against the current of the strongest powerhead head on, or swims under up and around the back of it and drops down into the current to get carried by the current then uses just his caudal like a rudder to go where he wants. As long as theres low flow areas for them to relax or sleep your good.
Mine do this exact thing. When they were little they hated the powerheads and stayed close to the bottom all the time but seemed to have gotten used to it.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Well, moving water is beneficial for your tank on so many levels by itself, but all of my puffers have enjoyed the powerheads in one way or another; whether it was hopping on and riding the current across the tank or playing in the bubbles. I'd recommend as much water current as your puff can reasonably handle.