What is my fish?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
smitty
Puffer Fry
Location (country): California

What is my fish?

Post by smitty »

I already tried pufferpedia in the stickies but i got a 404 error.

Hello everyone. I bought a couple puffers from my LFS a few months back and was told they are Green Spotted Puffers. Never thought anything of it until yesterday. One of them was missing for about a week but figured it just didn't want to come out. Well, I got worried and started removing all of the hiding places and found it. The fish was under a rock and looked pale as a ghost. Assuming it was dead I went to net it and it swam away and immediately the larger puffer attacked it and it puffed up. So, I removed the smaller, half dead looking puffer from the tank and placed it in a temporary container. I went out and took advantage of the current PETCO $1 a gallon sale and got it a 20 gallon tank. After doing some research, I don't think these guys are GSPs. It is entirely possible that the LFS guy said "spotted puffer" and I heard "Green spotted puffer" So I have a couple questions.

1. WHAT IS THIS. I took a slomo video of one of them eating a snail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L9ctUj ... e=youtu.be
It looks more like a dwarf puffer to me

2. Will one puffer eat snails until it dies? I had to sacrifice parts from my 10 gallon snail tank for a refuge for this little fish so I need a place for my snails.

The only reason I care is because, unless i'm wrong, GSPs are brackish and Dwarfs are fresh water. Correct? I would hate to get the water wrong.

Please help. And thank you.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: What is my fish?

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Hello and [welcome]

That is definitely a Dwarf Puffer (AKA Pea Puffer)

Totally freshwater.

Snails are crucial to their diets to keep their beaks worn down. If the beaks overgrow the puffer will starve.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

+1 definitely a dwarf puffer! Sorry sgt, by I got call you out on this one, dps are one of the few puffers that DONT need snails. I've had one over 2 year and never fed him any snails. Mine prefer blackworms.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Post by Welch4 »

+1 to the live blackworms. And definetly a dp.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
smitty
Puffer Fry

Post by smitty »

Awesome. Thanx guys. I was worried because my other fish aren't brackish and I was trying to keep the water in the middle. Now I don't have to worry :) As for the smaller one eating all of the snails, I put it in a 10 gallon tank with all of the snails and so far it looks like it is eating everything it sees. Both of these puffers don't do well in a 40 gallon. Do you think they would be ok in a 55 gallon with proper foliage to hide?
smitty
Puffer Fry

Post by smitty »

puffy.jpg
Thanx guys. Here is a pic of the other one. He doesn't look too healthy right now but he is in a tank all alone with lotsa food.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
smitty
Puffer Fry

Post by smitty »

UPDATE - I picked up a 55 gallon tank and put the smaller one back in it with maybe 8 more misc fish and transferred the fish from my old tank all at the same time. No one had a chance to be "in charge" and it looks like they are all getting along. I have have 10 regular fish, 2 puffers, 1 pleco, and a frog in the 55 gallon. Looks like I am good to go.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I already tried pufferpedia in the stickies but i got a 404 error.
Try the drop down one, under the Learn Tab above.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

smitty wrote:UPDATE - I picked up a 55 gallon tank and put the smaller one back in it with maybe 8 more misc fish and transferred the fish from my old tank all at the same time. No one had a chance to be "in charge" and it looks like they are all getting along. I have have 10 regular fish, 2 puffers, 1 pleco, and a frog in the 55 gallon. Looks like I am good to go.
I hope it's not a xenopus frog (AKA african clawed frog)... They get fairly large and eat ANYTHING that can fit inside their mouths; DPs would fit easily inside the mouth of a mature Xenopus frog.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

The dps could potentially take out any fish or frog, this has to be considered too
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
smitty
Puffer Fry

Post by smitty »

All is well in the tank. No one is picking on anyone else. The frog is an African Dwarf Frog. I've had him for years and he hasn't grown at all. The smaller DP is doing well and the two have been swimming together with absolutely no issues. I've started feeding them live black worms also. Thank you everyone for all of the help.