Future of Birdy

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Future of Birdy

Post by scpion »

Hi, after much thinking, I am making serious consideration about the future of Birdy.. My 23in T. mbu. Currently residing in a 150g with a 60g fuge.. I know it's tiny... That's why the decision.. :(

Upgrading for me is out of question. I seriously doubt any one is my country have the proper capacity to house and care for it. So I am very reluctant to hand it to anyone. Hence... Bringing it to a LFS would makes no sense. I have written to my RWS SEA Aquarium to see if they are willing to adopt it. Very last resort is to.. release it. I seriously think it will have a happier life.. Not sure if it will survive, but at least it can go back to nature at the very least... :( it's really painful to see him go.

What do u guys think.. :(
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Future of Birdy

Post by G S P Freak »

Unless you plan to take a plane over to Africa, please DO NOT release a species not native to your local area, it can be disastrous for the local fauna. Besides this, I honestly think he wouldn't do well, as he is not adapted to that habitat. If the aquarium doesn't accept him, I'd just say start a fund, putting a small amount each paycheck off to the side until you can afford a bigger tank. That or make him an outdoor pond lol XD.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

G S P Freak wrote:Unless you plan to take a plane over to Africa, please DO NOT release a species not native to your local area, it can be disastrous for the local fauna. Besides this, I honestly think he wouldn't do well, as he is not adapted to that habitat. If the aquarium doesn't accept him, I'd just say start a fund, putting a small amount each paycheck off to the side until you can afford a bigger tank. That or make him an outdoor pond lol XD.
If u ever been here, public housing is extremely expensive... We live in "pigeon holes" lol... Furthermore, my tank is already way above what the authorities allow.. They probably confiscate my current tank if they know it's here.. Pond, is out of the question..
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

If u ever been here, public housing is extremely expensive... We live in "pigeon holes" lol... Furthermore, my tank is already way above what the authorities allow.. They probably confiscate my current tank if they know it's here.. Pond, is out of the question..
The pond was more a joke than a suggestion :lol:. The tank situation seems bad then, besides repeating myself and saying don't release him I don't really have much more in the way of suggestions to offer. Sorry =/, hope it works out for you. I didnt think there were any laws limiting tank size, are you sure? I know there are places there that have large saltwater tanks, so this statement puzzles me :? .
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

In addition to introducing a non-native species to your area (really, really BAD!), he is used to being fed by a person, not hunting for his food. He'd starve to death out there. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

G S P Freak wrote:
The pond was more a joke than a suggestion :lol:. The tank situation seems bad then, besides repeating myself and saying don't release him I don't really have much more in the way of suggestions to offer. Sorry =/, hope it works out for you. I didnt think there were any laws limiting tank size, are you sure? I know there are places there that have large saltwater tanks, so this statement puzzles me :? .
Yes.. There are laws for everything here.. Lol. I remembered it's around 4ft max for public housing. And by right the authorities have to approve them and the placement also. It has to do with the load bearing of the structural thingy.. Pond would be lovely of I could afford my own land in future.. Residential land cost sgd1200/sqf here...and I am talking about cheap ones...
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

Pufferpunk wrote:In addition to introducing a non-native species to your area (really, really BAD!), he is used to being fed by a person, not hunting for his food. He'd starve to death out there. :(
I totally agree.. but...

PP, does Filbert moves around his tank? Mine doesnt like to swim around and just stays at a corner and i have to feed him there. If the food drifts further away, he doesnt wan to go after it.. I had tried moving decos, building caves and even points direct current at him but he will always park at his corner...
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

4ft max could be ok, I you could do like 3-4ft width.. But I guess this suggestion is moot, as a custom tank of these dimensions would probably cost way too much...
-John Ruskin-
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

If the aquarium won't take him then keep him and look after him as best as you can and DON'T feel guilty!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Filbert is pretty lazy, except at feeding time. He bullies the other fish to get at the food 1st. They get out of his way, quick!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Iliveinazoo wrote:If the aquarium won't take him then keep him and look after him as best as you can and DON'T feel guilty!
Big +1 to this. He may not live in ideal conditions, but remember he will most likely still outlive ANY of his wild counterparts.
-John Ruskin-
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

I have a good news but probably painful news for myself..

The SEA Aquarium had agreed to adopt him. It's kinda painful to really see him go.. In a very painful dilemma now. Should I?
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Do they demand a deadline? If not just hold out as long as you can with him. But make sure the option is always open.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

sgtmyers88 wrote:Do they demand a deadline? If not just hold out as long as you can with him. But make sure the option is always open.
There's no deadline. But kinda think he will be better off with them. Holding on to him seems pretty selfish on my part.. I m really sad to let him go...
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
4in Fahaka 150g

Post by scpion »

For the past 1 year he's having frequent mood swings and hunger strikes.. And he is now the exact width of my tank..