Why are LFS only open from 11am to 7pm? :(

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Why are LFS only open from 11am to 7pm? :(

Post by hadla »

Got the 55g yesterday afternoon, got home and fell asleep cause I was so tired. Woke up at exactly 7 and of course that was when the lfs closed so had to wait till today to get some gravel/sand for the 55... I did go to petco last night, but I'm not paying $15 for 20 lbs of gravel when I'll need twice that amount! Also went to lowes, but didn't feel like spending hours washing play sand. So now I'm waiting another hour and a half for the nearest lfs to me to open, don't feel like driving all the way to Aqualife to get substrate when I'll have to go there this afternoon for the puffs. :rant: :rant: :rant: :censored: wanted to get the 55 set up last night, and if the lfs stayed open just until 8, I could have! So mad at myself for falling asleep! :( ok just needed to rant... ._.

Question: would it be ok for me to set up the tank this morning using the filters from the dp tank for bacteria then add the puffs six hours later? Or am I being too impatient? :( should I get some of that instant cycle stuff so I can get the puffs today? I know I'm trying to rush things but Aqualife has had the puffs on hold for me until today (already paid for on Sunday)...
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Bear
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Derpy, the figure 8
Location (country): USA

Re: Why are LFS only open from 11am to 7pm? :(

Post by Bear »

:D Hi. If possible I would at least wait until tomorrow to get the puffs if you're still setting up today. You're probably capable of success but I think the puffs will appreciate it in the immediate future if you hold on one more day. I could be wrong but I think other people have had success with tetra safe start for fresh water cycling. That and other biological media from another filter should hopefully help the cycle go faster.
hadla
Mbu Puffer

Post by hadla »

I have one of the 10g's filters in it along with the cartridge from the other filter in one of the new filters
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

The LFS I use is open until 9 PM every night but Sunday. If you are a long-time customer, the owner is there quite late regularly and will usually let you in if you need something.

I don't rush tanks. Actually, I don't rush very much - if anything.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United states

Post by adamsmx34 »

I bought a 75 gallon tank. Did a 20gal water change on old tank and put that water in the new tank then added all tap water. Added some prime and clarity, and let it cycle for about 4 days. Tested and it said it was cycled took water to LFS they got the same results as me, got home and just to be super safe added 8.5 of Bio-Spira then added fish. It's been a week and I have not had any problems. The water is crystal clear and the puffers are actually much happier.
hadla
Mbu Puffer

Post by hadla »

Why did you put water from the old tank? It doesn't have anything helpful in it... Gravel or a filter cartridge would have the bacteria on it
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

sadly water from old tank will have 0 ammo, 0 nitrite and some nitrate, which will give the false appearance of a cycled tank on the new tank.
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

I added food waste as well when I first did the tank. I am planning in texting the water in a few days and having the lfs also test it. I also added live rock in the tank that would carry beneficial bacteria since it was in my cycled tank. As long as it stays in saltwater the bacteria won't die off.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think the bacteria from your DPs is enough to support larger fish. Add Safestart to be sure.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
adamsmx34
Dwarf Puffer

Post by adamsmx34 »

I added 8.5oz of Bio Spira before I added the fish also.