Best Way To Move My Fahaka Puffer

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
wigkeeper
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Wig (3-5) Months
Fahaka Puffer.
The 180 Gallon is now in full operation and thriving we both survived our first move.
Location (country): Canada

Best Way To Move My Fahaka Puffer

Post by wigkeeper »

Hello everyone,

I presently have a 90 gallon aquarium for "Wig" (The name bestowed upon him after a trip to a toy store and rather inappropriate story of a name of board game)

I now have a 180 gallon next to the 90 and will at some point be transferring him to his new home once it has been properly set up.

My question to everyone is, What is the best way to catch him and transfer him to his new tank once ready? I have nets buckets bags or will obtain anything needed so the item needed is not the issue.

I just want to minimize his stress level and keep the little guy happy. He is still very small roughly 2 and 3/4 inches.

I plan on putting in half new treated water and the cycled water from the existing 90 gallon tank as well as the old sand sub straight

if anyone has any other tips or advice based on experience I am all ears thank you all for your time in advance.

Cam
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Re: Best Way To Move My Fahaka Puffer

Post by nzac »

use net to move him into bucket, transfer bucket with fish to 180 let him swim out. No point in using the old water, all it contains is nitrates which is the end of the cycle anyway. make sure new tank is same temp, move fish, then move filter/media to new tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I tend to at least use some of the old water, unless he's used to 100% WC.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
wigkeeper
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Wig (3-5) Months
Fahaka Puffer.
The 180 Gallon is now in full operation and thriving we both survived our first move.
Location (country): Canada

Post by wigkeeper »

Well Wig is moved in. I am stoked! Still more work to do tomorrow. But the hard part is over.

Thanks for your posts and tips. I used a net and a jug to get him in to the jug and he swam right in no problem. I also ended up using about 40 gallons of the old water and the rest new. Was a bit tricky keeping the water temp stable but managed to do it.

will post some pics when I have time.

Thanks again for the help and I am glad that I found this forum!

Cheers

Cam