Getting a Puffer for the first time - Advice Needed

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Female Red Eyed Red Tailed Puffer
Location (country): United Kindgom

Re: Getting a Puffer for the first time - Advice Needed

Post by Lukedt95 »

I've just read up on a method where-by you use fish flakes (fish food) to cycle the tank.

You basically load up the tank with fish food and wait for it to decay.
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Post by DGabbs »

Ya i forgot about that. Never really tried it so can't advise you on it. Supposedly it works. Not sure if it gives you much bacteria.
.oOo.oOo.
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Lukedt95 »

Well I'll give it a go, could you direct me to somewhere where I could find a tester kit?

Thanks
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

I don't know any of the stores in the UK, but this one will work.

This is a freshwater kit, but they work for low end brackish.

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquar ... t-kit.html
.oOo.oOo.
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Lukedt95 »

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

One last thing, I've just read up you can use pure ammonia (Half a cap full for 30 gallons) and this is a much faster, more efficient method, anything to say otherwise?
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

Thats the method that i use, but you absolutely need a pure ammonia water mix. No additives. The only one that i have been able to find is old country ammonia.

Can't have anything else. 1/2 cup for 30 gallons seems like a crazy amount. I put in a few drops for a 20 gallon.

This method does produce a much better cycle.
.oOo.oOo.
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Lukedt95 »

Yeah, I'm gonna go for the pure ammonia method, I'll use 2 drops. It's finding the pure ammonia however, I'll have a look around tomorrow.

That's it after the two drops, right? No more to be added?

Thanks again for all the help, glad I'm came on here now, never knew how intricate it is keeping fish.
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

No problem! Its not always necessarily two drops, depending on the ammonia concentration among other things, it could be as many as 10 drops. You need to use the ammonia test to get an ammonia level of around 4-6ppm. You should maintain the ammonia level at 4ppm for a week. That could mean adding a few drops a day or non more at all. There isn't a bullet proof way of doing it, I'm still learning and using trial and error after 12 years of doing it. Even if you put a little too much in or what ever, after a few weeks everything will even out anyway. Just do some water changes when your nitrates get high, because nitrates are the end result of the nitrification cycle. It isn't removed by bacteria in brackish and freshwater situations, so you need to with water changes.
.oOo.oOo.
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

You'll be very happy that you properly cycled your tank afterwards. Your on the right track, just do the required research and keep asking questions here. This is a great forum and as a first time puffer fish owner I'm learning tons about puffer fish on here!
.oOo.oOo.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Kiamose
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Lincolnshire, england

Post by Kiamose »

Hiya, I'm also in the uk, Lincolnshire, and around me the hardest thing ive found is buying live foods for your fish, ie when they are young, finding mysis shrimp, goast shrimp, baby brine and small snails is really hard, also I've found it hard to find fresh, un cooked shrimp, mussels, clams etc really hard also, I've tried fish mongers, super markets, markets etc and I don't know if it's just Lincolnshire but its hard. Everything i have found seems to be coated in garlic, YUK and cooked. Ive had to travel to buy them, and travel far. Luckily my puffer Rossi will eat frozen (thawred and washed) cubes but I like a varied diet and items to help her teeth, I did manage to buy some small snails which she ate in a week.

I know your still going through the cycling process, but as you need to freeze all uncooked fresh foods like shrimps etc before giving them to your puffs to get rid of any parasites, you might want to start looking now so they will be ready by the time you are ready to get your puff and feed her/him.

Good luck with the cycling, I really enjoy cycling as it also teaches my children the cycle and as my 8year old little boy wants to be a marine biologist, he is getting a head start on all things aquatic, I have quite a few tanks and ponds now and am also in the process of getting ready for my next tank, it's great fun doing all the planning and buying of equipment, yep expensive but so rewarding if you do it properly.

You might also want to read up on IPs and get the meds in, at the ready, we are lucky in the UK as we can get KUSARI WORMER PLUS. Which covers all IPs and alot on here recommend treating all new puffs when you buy them as so many will come with IPs.

I'm sorry if I've waffled on and said things you already know and read about but you can never have To much info, good luck and keep us posted.

Kind regards
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Kiamose wrote: I'm sorry if I've waffled on and said things you already know and read about but you can never have
we love waffles! maple syrup or corn syrup?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Kiamose
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Lincolnshire, england

Post by Kiamose »

J-P wrote:
Kiamose wrote: I'm sorry if I've waffled on and said things you already know and read about but you can never have
we love waffles! maple syrup or corn syrup?
It's funny you saying that as once when I wrote in to WWM I wrote the same comment about waffling and the chap who replyed said he now had a craving for waffles, I do love them too, the ones with the suger clusters, oh yummy, one question "corn syrup" what's that, is it a Canadian thing as I've never heard of that over hear in god old blighty.

See I do waffle al, the time, my poor family.......
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

here we have Maple, corn and blended. Maple is the most expensive, then comes blended and corn is the cheapest. Corn syrup is nice and an excellent alternative. It just doesn't have that "wow" factor that 100% maple has. It is more akin to honey that is a little on the watery side.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Lukedt95
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Lukedt95 »

Thanks for the link PufferPunk.

And the advice is appreciated Kiamose, I'll read up on IPs now, unsure of what they are.

And yeah, it is very expensive, but hopefully worth it in the end. :)