Pufferfish books

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Pufferfish books

Post by RTR »

A big +1 to the prior posts of J-P, Corvus' and Pufferpunk's.

Books are published with aim of maximizing appeal to as broad an audience as possible, otherwise it will not be successful (make money) and thus will not stay in print . It is a Catch-22. The latest and best info is never in texts. It is in articles and notes among those in that field of interest.

Too many hobbyists forget the massive differences in life in the wild and in captivity. The average fish born in the wild is little more than a small morsel in a food chain. The average fish purchased in the hobby has very longer life. That is reality. Wild conditions and wild life expectancies have little to do with what can be done in captivity.

I do not do confetti tanks or Noah's Ark tanks. I do systems of linked tanks to maximize captive survival and where possible to attempt captive breeding. My setups have little application for hobbyists running or two "community" tanks and none at all for folks running MFK-style glass-walled septic tanks. The most I can offer most hobbyists is some articles which may help them some concepts of captive husbandry. A non-trivial percentage of my tank systems are DIY research projects. That is not at all what the average hobbyist wants or even has any interest in seeing.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Phil1078
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Post by Phil1078 »

Hey everyone. I decided to buy the Aqualog book and its supplements on e-bay. Thanks for helping me make the decision!
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Phil1078 wrote:Hey everyone. I decided to buy the Aqualog book and its supplements on e-bay. Thanks for helping me make the decision!

Cool.... I might start collecting afew puffer books out there, including the Aqualog book also. Done my research on it and found afew sites that sell it.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

How much on Ebay?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Phil1078
Puffer Fry

Post by Phil1078 »

~ $48 for the book and $9.50 for the supplements.

When I get it in a week or so, I will comment on the book.

Having said that, if they update this book in the next couple of years, I am going to be mad. Haha it is an expensive book.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Printed materials are by their nature snapshots from a particular time. My articles here do get periodically updated as my practices change. Texts and reference books do get periodic updates, or they get superseded by newer publications.
Where's the fish? - Neptune