Pufferfish books

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Re: Pufferfish books

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Pufferpunk wrote:RTR's THE MAN!!!
Unfortunately, our Library is down here or it would be in there.

Yeah I have noticed that here while back. When I was tryin to send a link to the guy that I got Misery from before he sold Misery to me. This is the 1st place I send people that wants to know more about their new puffer or send them a link. Hoping to see it all back up and running again.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

LOL! I honestly had forgotten that one...

I get so annoyed with folks not understandingh just how different puffers are, and even "true" puffers from blowfish/burrfish i.e. "4-toothed" versus "2-toothed" And I prefer "burrfish" to blowfish - but puffers and blowfish squirt water - it is a basic hunting technique for the whole group. don't have enough experience with the spiny boxfishes to know whether or not they also have the same behavior.

I think what the poster really wants is comparative ethnology. That is rare on fish IME. But I have never recovered from "King Solomon's Ring" and it shows in the way my tanks are set up and arranged. It can be quite useful. The way we suggest arranging puffer tanks flows and decor is in part from that and practical application of more general principles.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Phil1078
Puffer Fry

Post by Phil1078 »

RTR, what do you think about the two puffer fish books I mentioned in the OP? Do you own the aqualog? If so, do you think it is worth a buying, or is most of the information on the internet?
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

RTR, I think it's about time your make a book of your own from all those articles you do, would not hurt :thumb:
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

The aqualog is always quite good to have tons of pictures at hand. There are a lot of rarer species not found online.

It has a medium amount of text, most about care and the personal experiences of the author, not too much about ecology and habitats, but these topics are also briefly discussed on pages 7-13. It also has some differention keys on the last pages to tell some similar species apart.

It's a must have for someone interested in puffers in general, but not absolutely necessary if you are just about their care or just about their natural life.

There's also a book on marine puffers by me, but it's so far only available in German.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Are there any plans in the works for it in English?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

We've talked about it, but I don't think in the near future.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

aww... bummer.

There is so much information out there on puffer fish not in the English language it is incredible. French, German, Japanese, all have extensive works on these fish which are not accessible to the English speaking population :(
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Oh... and don't forget Chinese... they also made some progress of which I generally only understand the abstracts...

In the case of my book... I don't get it completely, because I think the English market should be interesting for any German publisher and some magazines such as "Koralle" = "Coral magazine" found American partners for translation and trade. I hope this happens with the books, too.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Like Corvus, I consider the Aqualog a must-have for the photos. It is exactly one very completent fishkeeper's experiences with puffers. He is not pushing his techniques, just reporting them. The text he offers does have a few gems scattered in which are valuable. My biggest complaint is one flaw which I suspect is in the translation to English. Using the same common name for two different fish just not get it.

I did some introductory talking to a publisher on a partial compilation of some of my articles, but I absolutely refuse to accept product placement photos in with my text. The end of the negotiations was right there. I am a purist. I would not have product pictured that I considered to be trash. Nobody ever accused me of being other than stubborn. Neither my techniques not my equipment are mass-market nor are they disposable. I do not fit into the chain stores profiles of their customers, nor even into most LFS's profiles. Nor do I have any desire to do so. I do like to help folks to understand what they are doing and why they need to do it, but there is a point beyond which I will not go. I cannot and will not feed the modern practice and quick fixes. Do it right and you do not need quick fixes.

I like money, but I don't need it that badly. Nobody but Dr. A got rich writing fish books. And none of them are worth one volume of Baench's Atlas.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Phil1078
Puffer Fry

Post by Phil1078 »

RTR, I understand you desire to dissemination knowledge without selling it and yourself as it were. I will say this: I wish there were more than two options of puffer fish information in terms of books. One of those options seems to be mostly pictures, and the other option seems to be rather scant information. I love picture books as much as anyone, but I would really prefer to learn more about the lives of puffers in general, not just in tanks. It was a dwarf puffer fish that got me into the hobby. Until that time, I thought most fish to be somewhat robotic (I come from the spoiled and arrogant world of mammals). This fish had more personality than people's dogs that I have met. I come from a zoology background (although now I am in veterinary medicine), and I do get tired of only being able to find information on how to keep fish, rather than what they are like in the wild. If you have that kind of knowledge, or if you have compiled it in some form, please share it! Perhaps I am not looking hard enough, but I just haven't found the kind of information I am looking for. Anyway, I thought I would add my two-cents.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I think the information you are searching for is not compiled in form of a book or similar so far, because there is hardly a market for it, also the information itself is limited. It's available in scientific papers and as chapters in a number of books. Since, much of this is not available online at the moment (can take a number of years...), I cannot think of any other way to get this information than by extensive library work. It took me quite some time in university libraries to get the many thousands of pages on puffers, moray eels I'm interested in and as long as the results of research (paid for by the community by the way) are not available to everyone for free, but only through the bottleneck of publishers and libraries (which have to pay for their books and journals), I can't think of a way to improve this. You'll also find that what is known to mankind about the natural life of puffers might be much less than expected... such research is expensive.

If you are searching for some specific information (such as: when does T. ocellatus breed or where can I find more about puffer mass occurences) feel free to ask, maybe someone here has already stumbled about that and can give you a hint.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Also, the best quality captive care of certain species often may may not imitate their wild life. For example--the T biocellatus is found in fresh water but is best kept in very hard, slightly salty water, in captivity.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

If you know what you are looking for (species wise) you can use
http://scholar.google.com

You'll find tonnes of documents and literature there. As each species is different you'll have to sort through them and get the info you need one at a time.

The "T. ocellatus" reference produced 53 documents. Don't forget that these articles will also cite other articles for further reference.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Yes, google scholar is a good start. I use Biosis a lot, but I'm not sure if it is free everywhere. Also, fishbase has literature lists of all species, too. And J-P's last hint is also very important and often the only link to some literature not found in the databases so far.