WTB- Searching for an F8

You need it, you want to get rid of it or you have spotted a good deal and want others to know about it? Post about it here.
Forum rules
General Guidelines:
1. TPF Classifieds are intended primarily for advertisement of items related to fish and aquariums.
2. Include your location (City and State or Country) in your post or in your TPF user profile.
3. Posts may include links to commercial sites on the Internet or other commercial sources, but no spamming please :-)
4. No bootlegs, pirated games, spam or any other illegal or objectionable material.
5. Sellers are encouraged to include pictures of the products available for sale.
6. Sellers may "bump" their ad a maximum of three times.

Disclaimer:
- Sellers and buyers accept that this service is offered free of charge. TPF is in no way involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of product descriptions or other information posted in TPF Classifieds.

Posting Ads
To help identify what type of classified you are posting, please use the following labels in your post topic:

FS - For Sale ex. FS Dogface in South Carolina
WTB - Wanted To Buy ex. WTB GSP in London area
PALS - Puffer At Local Store ex. PALS Fahaka at PetCo in SanFrancisco
tristyn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

WTB- Searching for an F8

Post by tristyn »

As the topic states, I am searching for an F8 puffer to add to my pet family. I have a 20 gallon precycled tank that is about to be switched over to brackish with aragonite sand this week. I've been planning this set up for a few months now and am finally ready to take on a little one now that I'm done with vacation for the year.

I live in Missoula, Montana and the fish store population is...lacking to say the least. The last fish store that did custom orders closed in June and I've struggled to find any other resources besides Petco and Petsmart.

My search for an online retailer has been less than reassuring as well. I was under the impression I would be able to purchase an F8 on aquabid, but was left feeling uneasy when I emailed the seller to inquire about the salinity of his F8 set up and the response was that he uses "a quarter of a betta cup of rock salt" in the ten gallon he keeps the four he has for sale in. This response left me feeling uneasy and unsure I'd get a healthy fish and this seller is now my last resort.

Tldr: does anyone know a trustworthy online retailer that currently has F8's in stock? If not, is someone willing to consider picking up a healthy F8 from an LFS and shipping it to me? I would pay through PayPal and would not expect my money back if something were to happen, given that the fish appeared to be healthy enough when shipped. Obviously I am also open to adopting as well.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: WTB- Searching for an F8

Post by G S P Freak »

My lfs has f8's in stock all the time, I wouldn't mind buying one and overnighting if you get that desperate. Lfs I know is great, fish always healthy, she even keeps them in proper brackish. I'm in Indiana btw.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
tristyn
Puffer Fry

Post by tristyn »

G S P Freak wrote:My lfs has f8's in stock all the time, I wouldn't mind buying one and overnighting if you get that desperate. Lfs I know is great, fish always healthy, she even keeps them in proper brackish. I'm in Indiana btw.
Honestly I think I am starting to get that desperate sadly. I've been wanting an F8 for AGES now and every avenue has fallen through at the last minute. I really appreciate the offer! Have you shipped fish before? It doesn't matter a ton to me, but it would help me feel a bit less anxious about it all.

My plan is to buy my sand tonight or tomorrow and put it in, then I'll be set for a puffer as early as Wednesday this week. I don't know what your schedule is like, but I'll send you a PM tomorrow if everything has worked out as it should have! Thank you!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Honestly I haven't before, but I know how. The only part that trips up this plan is that I don't have the supplies to do so. After all is bought and after shipping, idk if you'd think the cost is worth it. I'd have to get some Kordon breather bags, styrofoam, and a heatpack. Depending on how much that iffy seller is charging, you could try them... I understand your hesitation though. Sorry if i got your hopes up and than crushed them, just making sure you're aware. I'd say try to exhuast all other options first (if you haven't already). I'd expect 25-30 for overnight, 5.99+tax for the F8, and 10-15 for the shipping supplies. After all that you're looking at a $50 f8, ouch!
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
tristyn
Puffer Fry

Post by tristyn »

G S P Freak wrote:Honestly I haven't before, but I know how. The only part that trips up this plan is that I don't have the supplies to do so. After all is bought and after shipping, idk if you'd think the cost is worth it. I'd have to get some Kordon breather bags, styrofoam, and a heatpack. Depending on how much that iffy seller is charging, you could try them... I understand your hesitation though. Sorry if i got your hopes up and than crushed them, just making sure you're aware. I'd say try to exhuast all other options first (if you haven't already). I'd expect 25-30 for overnight, 5.99+tax for the F8, and 10-15 for the shipping supplies. After all that you're looking at a $50 f8, ouch!
Honestly, I'm expecting it to be expensive no matter what (unless by some miracle I can find one locally). The iffy seller I mentioned wants 15 for the puffer, then he charges 15 for "2-3 day" shipping (which he recommends) or 40 for overnight. I would probably go for overnight because I'm honestly not sure a puffer would do well with 2-3 night shipping considering a heat pack wouldn't last that long and puffers tend to be more delicate than say a betta fish.

I have 140 dollars budgeted to convert the tank and buy the fish. With that I still need sand, a little marine salt to get started, and a hydrometer + fish. If i can stay within that budget I'd be fine spending more on the fish, but it would only give me room for one try obviously xD
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

Never ship a puffer for more time than overnight!

Honestly, (and I'm a bit biased) it would be safer if you drove for a couple of hours with extra water than to ship when you feel uneasy!
tristyn
Puffer Fry

Post by tristyn »

purplecandle wrote:Never ship a puffer for more time than overnight!

Honestly, (and I'm a bit biased) it would be safer if you drove for a couple of hours with extra water than to ship when you feel uneasy!
That's what my instinct said as well, and the reason why buying online makes me so nervous. Honestly I'm beginning to think it may be more logical to wait until I live in a place with a better pet store population. I've researched/called a lot of places within a few hours of driving distance and so far there are no leads. Montana isn't the most friendly of places to get special fish I'm thinking.

I think I may end up doing the responsible thing and using the 20 gallon for something I can get locally for now. A puffer is worth 50 dollars to me, but currently it would be irresponsible to spend so much on one fish :(
tristyn
Puffer Fry

Post by tristyn »

Update: I've spent a lot of time considering and based on my financial situation + a few other factors, I've decided to wait on my F8 until I can either find one locally or feel it's a better time to spend the money to get one shipped. Thank you so much to everyone who read or posted on the forum, and I'm sorry to waste all your time! This was a good way for me personally to do some serious thinking and weighing of options. :) And now I've got a beautiful filtered tank to start a new community tank. I'm thinking a betta sorority would be a good challenge.

Thank you all again!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

No problem :), you probably made the right decision, I'm sure your patience will pay off in time. Good luck with your new tank!
-John Ruskin-
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

This is a great forum for betta owners, just ignore the few people who tend to put them in glass vases without filters.

http://www.bettafish.com/