Winter!

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Winter!

Post by RTR »

LOL! I love that shot of Pufferpunk and Kalvin inside the curve of the banana bed! Too bad she did not have her bike with her...

Only the rhizome with some of the mature roots make it through the winter. All of above-ground pseudostems (a.k.a.trunks) freeze and rot. They are all cut off even with the ground before the composted manure and the new mulch are mounded up over the bed in preparation for their winter nap. That was just before all the bad weather (below zero F) hit. Luckily Sam was available to get it done in time. As with many landscape folks, in winter he does snow removal for local churches and businesses and was not at that time backed up. The cut pseudostem sections are quite heavy, but compost fairly quickly, despite their strong cellulose fibers. the cut-off foliage is piled over the stem sections to retain heat and speed composting. The stem sections are quite heavy, but the mass is more water than cellulose. The pseudostem with the leaf blades still attached are what are use for making mats in the Far East. They are quite strong. But we are lazy types, we buy our doormats . :)

When the pseudostems emerge in the spring, they look like rather like weird cypress knees. They emerge rather quickly while it is still pretty cool. the composted manure and the old mulch provide the extra heat they need for spouting and early growth. The ones which will be the largest get fairly tall before the foliage opens with the first leaves. To get flowers and fruit I would have to carry over a dormant pseudostem in the garage for the winter, but I have never done that with these bananas, as the fruit is not really edible. These pseudostems are to big to carry over easily and the fruit has full-sized seeds. In my climate it usually takes 3 growing seasons to get fruit to maturity. The tiny seeds in edible bananas are all sterile. Viable seeds are much, much larger.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Today we get yet another snowstorm. My hand doctor's appointment has already called to cancel. And another storm is expected in a few days..

Schools are closed again today, and they are out of snow days, so will have to steal from Spring Break or add on at the end of the term.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Although I know the snow here's been much, much worse, with the cold snaps between all the snow we've been getting this is the worst winter I can remember!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

LOL! Unfortunately, I will second that! We have had much deeper snows in the past, but this year's snow plus ultra-low temperatures are the worst. I haven't even been to the LFS since before Thanksgiving! I'm having withdrawal issues... my wife and the LFS owner have to keep me supplied.
Infinity8
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: GSP- Burd
???- Tiberius the Tugboat
F8- Bonk
Potato Puffer- TBD, arriving 12/1
Location (country): United States

Post by Infinity8 »

Apparently we're getting another snowstorm tonight. Eugh (I'm hoping school isn't cancelled, we're so behind in the curriculum.)

Feather is ready for it though.

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

All we have had so far this year is rain and floods! My friends mock me for always moving into houses at the top of hills. We are on the south coast so the top of a hill keeps your house safe from flooding, now I have to store valuables from friends being evacuated due to flooding, I don't mind but why don't they listen? I just want snow! Living on top of a massive hill has other perks, big sledge runs with my little princess. Luckily our snow does not manifest like yours, it's just a few inches so I look forward to it. Keep safe guys and girls
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

We also are on a "hill", a low ridge off of Great Catoctin mountain, and winter got us in spades this week- we were w/o power for two day, starting with a huge Ice storm, hundreds of downed trees or limbs and no pwer due the trees/limbs taking out our downed power lines. No internet, I spent my time tending fires to preserve the pipes and our lives. Our tree clean-up crew came over yesterday to get the limbs from the front of the property and from the drives. A friend came by to pick up and recharge phone and book-player batteries and drop of hot coffee morning and evening, plus assorted carry-out food. Serious sleep deprivation for both of us, but the power is back now. At least we did not run out of firewood.

We did, when we built up here, cut a gentle path diagonally down the back property to the farm below us' hay field, but it was only used for sledding while the boys were in residence, before collage, so it has been abandoned for over 25 years and has reverted to woods. We do drop the larger trees to preserve the valley view for us, but sledding is only a memory from the past.

I am so ready for spring...
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

We are in another major storm. The decks are already more than knee-deep w/snow and the winds have picked up. Schools, some stores, and even the doctor's offices are closed down.

I really, really hope that we do not lose power again... This is a bad one.
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Gonna be around 40 after this weekend. After all this snow and subzero weather its going to real like summer.

I may go shirtless.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Post by G S P Freak »

JRC3 wrote:Gonna be around 40 after this weekend. After all this snow and subzero weather its going to real like summer.

I may go shirtless.
Haha right? freezing or above freezing temps feels balmy compared to this sub-zero and teens/single digits crap!
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

LOL! +1 to GSPFreak's comments - above freezing does feel warm compared to our zero-ish wind chills.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I used to bundle up heavy, below 30. Now I've got my coat open at 15!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

I don't think I could deal with Chicago winters. The wind off the lake would do me in.