What did you do with your tank today

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Re: What did you do with your tank today

Post by LongGrain »

did a 25% water change, put another dose of IP medication in the water. Still praying that my guy makes it through, but i'm starting to doubt it since he spends more time hiding under a rock pretending to be dead to the world than he does swimming. He's gotten to the point where he only swims for maybe 15 minutes a day, and thats only because i'm feeding him.
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I have a 32g Rubbermaid Brute that I use to premix my WC water for my BW 46g F8 tank...

Anyways, I took on those 3 juvenile F8s a while back and I have 2 in a 15g and 1 in a 10g, and I went to do a 50% WC in their tanks early this evening and drained the tanks...I then checked my SG in my WC vessel and it was at 1.002...I forgot to add salt after the last WC a few days ago! My goal is always 1.005 and these tanks were at nearly at 1.006. I always check b4 WC and have never forgot b4. UGH!

So I then added salt to the vessel and broke out my backup pump and added it to the vessel to help mix the salt...2 hours later it mixed and I was good to go.

BTW, Two of these F8 guys will be up for adoption soon. I've had them for two months and treated for IPs and they are 100% healthy.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

LongGrain wrote:did a 25% water change, put another dose of IP medication in the water.
Are you medicating his food?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

Pufferpunk wrote:
LongGrain wrote:did a 25% water change, put another dose of IP medication in the water.
Are you medicating his food?
yea, but he still won't eat it, he swims at it, but when he gets closer he turns his head. I don't think he likes the taste, so he hasn't eaten much in the last couple days.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Ordered some amazon sword online. I just hope my fahaka will like them along with a few big tree stump decor. More plants to be bought if everything goes well with the swords. Only thing left to buy is 100lb of sand. Then I can transfers his 2" long body to his massive 120g and be done with quarantine period.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LongGrain wrote:yea, but he still won't eat it, he swims at it, but when he gets closer he turns his head. I don't think he likes the taste, so he hasn't eaten much in the last couple days.
Maybe less meds? I think you're using some garlic too, right? You don't need much of either. What foods? Are they his favorite? Try live earthworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LongGrain wrote:yea, but he still won't eat it, he swims at it, but when he gets closer he turns his head. I don't think he likes the taste, so he hasn't eaten much in the last couple days.
Maybe less meds? I think you're using some garlic too, right? You don't need much of either. What foods? Are they his favorite? Try live earthworms.

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

well his favorite are snails. I've been soaking small chunks of his bloodworms in the meds to thaw them. I'm using maybe 1/4 or 1/5 of a tablet in with them, I thought that was probably too much, but wasn't sure. Should I try like a real small sliver of the tablet? Its kind of hard to break it precisely, but I had a feeling I was using too big of chunks.

should I put some snails in a cup with the meds? I think all of the snails I have for him right now might be too big for him to eat live, but I could always break them for him, or stop in and grab some smaller ones at the lfs.

He's always really dark colored/black belly when he's laying at the bottom of the tank (much of the day...), but as soon as he gets up and starts swimming around, like when I'm feeding him, or in the morning/early afternoon when I turn his day lights on for the day, his color gets really bright and his belly goes back to white.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's gonna kill the snails anyway. Smash them & let him get at the meat. From the way you are describing him, I think you have a real chance of saving him.

LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by LongGrain »

smash them before putting them in with the medication? or after?

once again, I appreciate all of the help. I feel bad for mucking the whole forum up with my sick fish problems haha. I really should just make my own thread in the hospital section.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Just some minor cleaning after being on vacation for week . Only lost 1 pepper mint shrimp , not too bad !
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Peteys tank was a construction zone earlier, Water change,wall scrub,power head moved and moved his aquascape around . Had too since Fil the flounder( yes fil like fillet, lol ) moved in . Loads of crabs got put in yesterday as well . Still got to do water change in the Lionfish(Leo) / Eel (ernie) tank . Busy day off, lol .
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA

Post by jus85411 »

after my air trapped incident with my GSP i would probably be scared in the future to do tank work with the puff in there so he doesnt dart around. i would possibly transfer him into something for the time being then put him back. i dunno though im probably just being paranoid

i did nothing to my tank today, because i have none :(
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Petey is good, he just gets in the way ! Always wanting to see what im doing ! Just afraid hes gonna bite my finger thinking there food .
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Camille's a good girl - she just pouts in the corner of the tank while I'm working in it. She has got my fingers a couple of times, though.
chuckfriedrice wrote:Petey is good, he just gets in the way ! Always wanting to see what im doing ! Just afraid hes gonna bite my finger thinking there food .