Intel Processors (FSB question)

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Intel Processors (FSB question)

Post by Mek0ng »

If my motherboard supports up to 1066mhz FSB and I were to get a processor which is rated at 1333mhz FSB would my motherboard hold back the processor pretty much under-clocking it?

I currently am running a Asus P5B motherboard with a Core2duo 2.13ghz (800mhz FSB) overclocked to 2.8. I am considering getting a Core2quad 2.83ghz.

Would this work?

According to Asus it says with a BIOS upgrade the processor is supported:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=o7He8KHagWiFxHRw

But would the motherboard hold it back making it a waste of $?
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Re: Intel Processors (FSB question)

Post by J-P »

sorry been out of that game too long to know. back in the day we always matched the board to the processor, overclocked it, burnt it out and used the warranty to get a new set :)

It sounds like you would have a bottle-neck though.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

The reason I ask is I have two gaming comps, one for me and one for my wife. Hers is REALLY held back by the old P4 3.4ghz. I want to give her my Core2duo 2.13ghz (that runs smoothly at 2.8ghz simple overclock). So I need a new CPU for me. My motherboard holds me to 1066mhz FSB so it looks like with out getting a new mobo/ram/cpu (~$500 for core2quad DDR3 and way more for corei7).

I wonder what if any real performance gain I would see from a Core2duo 2.93ghz ($109), also wonder what the overclocking potential is...

I feel like I should just wait for i7 prices to come down but I dont see my self having $500+ to dump on a gaming comp any time in the next year...
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

well you could over clock the CPU and swap it in under 6 months, but I don't know how that will affect your board.

Also if you get a new CPU you can always upgrade the board at a later date ...??

Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

So currently I am running my Core2duo @ 2.8ghz (8*350) which gives me a current FSB of 1400mhz. I have been running this speed for years stable as a rock. So obviusly my motherboard could handle a core2quad Q9550 (1333mhz FSB) I also noticed that I am already running the proper beta version of the BIOS to support a Q9550. So looks like as soon as I get my pay check Im running down to Fry's and getting one. (They have a awesome no questions asked 30day return policy!)

J-P, or anyone, I was wondering if they could help me figure out memory timing settings.

I have patriot extreme memory that I have been running on auto timing @ 875mhz. My memory says on the stick 4-4-4-12. CPU-Z says they are currently set to 5-5-5-10. So should I change it off of auto? If so there are a number of other memory timing settings I have no idea what to set to.

Here is a pic of what my BIOS memory timing page looks like:

In desending order I know that the first 3 should be set to 4 and the 4th to 12, but what about the other settings bellow the first 4?

I have been looking over this page and other guides and still a little confused.

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

on that I have no idea... not familiar with the product...

tis is well after my time ;)

Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

Thanks anyways!

Ugh, I called Frys, looks like they carry nothing but i3-7 processors now, if I want a 775 I have to go with newegg or some online place with virtually no return policy.

I would of had the cash for a i7 system but my stupid dishwasher broke and had to get a new one...

:rant:
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

So I got the E7500 2.93ghz. I have it running at 3.85ghz right now, 1400FSB, DDR2 875mhz :D My max temp has been 122f :D

Since socket 775 is getting phased out I wonder if I can find a 1600mhz FSB motherboard on the cheap, should be able to reach above 4.4ghz if the cooling can take it.
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

The key question here is if your RAM is running duel channel or not. If it is, you want your RAM speed to be exactly half your FSB, so each channel runs simultaniosly at full speed while the FSB runs at full speed. If not, the closer your RAM speed to your FSB the better, but their is no benefit to faster FSB if the proc is running the same speed and your using the same RAM .
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

According to CPU-Z my ram is running 437.5, and since that is DDR2 its 875mhz effectively.

FSB to DRAM is 4:5.

I dont really see a way to get 1:1 with the overclocking options I have. The motherboard can only handle upto DDR2 800...

Either way looking at old benchmarks and looking at my new there is a drastic improvement from the 2.13Ghz E6400 to the now 3.85Ghz E7500
Nick
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Mine:
GSPs - Shakespeare and Jillybean
F8 - Velvet
My fiance:
DP - Emma Goldman
Narrow Lined Puffer - Ulrike
Location (country): Northeastern USA

Post by Nick »

Just the clock increase should make a bit difference in most benchmarks, other than those based totally on HDD and RAM performance. See if your bios has a utility that will let you lock the multipliers on the RAM and FSB, but overclock the proc. If you have duel channel memory (which you may, would need mboard details) running it at 700mzh would have it sync with the FSB at your current 1400mzh FSB. Running it over that offers minimal gain and ages the RAM faster than running it lower. I'd only run it over if factory spec is over. You should also be able to manually set the timings in the bios lower(lower is better, it decreases the lag between between accesses of the same memory location) to match the ones on the RAM chip itself, as long as the chip is running at factory spec. If the RAM is overclocked, the boards recommended slightly slower settings will be less likely to generate errors.
No matter how magnificent your successes or devastating your failures, the worlds' approximately 5 billion impoverished people could not possibly care less.